Vegetable garden tips
April is a great month for spending time in the vegetable garden. Here are some useful tips to help you make the most of your vegetable garden so that you can enjoy your very own ‘Grow it and eat’. It is also fun!
Some April chores for your vegetable garden
- This is a good time to plant grape vines. The best position is against a south-facing wall or fence.
- Check fruit trees for damaged or diseased wood.
- Clean strawberry beds thoroughly. Dig up any plants that have grown too large and replant the younger parts.
- If you want to plant a bed of asparagus, mid-April is the best time to start.
- The first rhubarb can now be harvested.
- This is also a good time to sow a herb garden. Herbs like aniseed, fennel, parsley and savory can all be sown outdoors now.
- Fennel, aniseed and dill do not look out of place in a perennial border, where the delicate and diffuse foliage and attractive umbels provide added interest.
- Carrots, beetroots, celery, leeks and onions can now be sown. With their shapely leaves and interesting colours, these plants also have decorative value.