Maintaining your lawn in April
For many gardeners April is a good time for mowing the lawn, newly mown grass smells so fresh. Mow as often as you can, at least once a week.
Other lawn jobs for the lawn in April as follows
- Remove areas of course grass and reseed the bare patches.
- Check the lawn for diseased patches.
- For quick results, remove the diseased patch by cutting out a square of turf and replacing this with a new piece cut to size.
- Treat large areas of moss with iron sulphate.
- If the moss is widespread, the lawn needs to be aerated. Aeration gets rid of moss as well as old and dead grass, and also ensures sufficient ventilation.
- Never use an aerator on a wet lawn, as this is counter-productive.
- After aerating, reseed the lawn if necessary and go over the grass with a roller.
- Trim the edges of the lawn.
- Mow regularly and administer lawn fertilizer once a month for the best results.
- Stick a fork into the ground and move it backwards and forwards to improve the drainage of the soil.